Saturday, January 22, 2011

survival recipe #2: Stephie's triple-corn spoon bread




now THIS had a real american flavour to it. i hadn't even heard of corn bread until thanksgiving here! now i learn that it exists with triple the corniness! :D

it is yummy. was it supposed to rise more, though, like a loaf? it seemed a little squashed.

here are some great words from steph's page.

In this day and age when it's so easy for generations to become disconnected, times when we can come together to share knowledge and moments are so precious. This recipe, one that I made with my aunt when I was in Seattle, embodies this intergenerational sharing for me. There's just something so nostalgic yet timeless about learning skills (especially home-making skills) from older women that I just love and treasure! I hope that you'll enjoy the bread as much as I do (I hope you like corn...it's not one of those foods that you have a strange aversion to, is it?).....and that finding the ingredients in Taiwan will be easier than finding cheese in China.

no worries, i love corn! and alas, i could not find cans of no-salt-added, whole-kernel corn/no-salt-added, cream-style corn, and corn muffin mix in Taiwan. here, however, no problemo. :)

2 comments:

stephanie said...

Hmm..... I don't remember ever sounding so articulate.... what happened??

Glad you like it! I haven't made this recipe in awhile but it's still one of my favorites!

carmen said...

i promise i did not edit that in any way... 100% your words! :)
nothing happened... you are still quite the wordsmith! perhaps not in text messages, but that's just a whole other plane of communication. XD